House of Studies
1 Corinthians with Professor Dan Lioy, Ph.D.
January 11, 2021 to January 15, 2021
The January House of Studies will be held live online from 9:00am to Noon Central time each morning and 1 to 4:00 each afternoon (excluding Friday). The public is welcome to attend.
This course provides an immersive study of 1 Corinthians. The course addresses the letter’s history, form, content, and theological motifs.
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Students will be able to know how to examine the historical, cultural, and religious contexts of 1 Corinthians.
2. Students will be able to know how to appreciate the literary and rhetorical features in 1 Corinthians.
3. Students will be able to know how to assess the content, purposes, and deliberations in 1 Corinthians.
4. Students will be able to know how to scrutinize the key emphases, themes, and doctrines in 1 Corinthians.
5. Students will be able to know how to appropriate the theology of 1 Corinthians for ministry in the Lutheran Church and the preaching of the orthodox Christian message.
6. Students will be able to know how to explore opportunities for applying insights gleaned from 1 Corinthians to one’s personal and/or professional circumstance.
Required course materials to be purchased by the student:
Garland, DE 2003. 1 Corinthians: Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament. Grand Rapids: Baker. ISBN: 9780801026300.
Schreiner, TR. 2018. 1 Corinthians: An Introduction and Commentary. Downers Grove: InterVarsity. ISBN-13: 9780830842971.